Membership: Chair, Vice-Chair, Thirteen Members-at-Large
Purpose: To fulfill all Book of Order and presbytery manual responsibilities related to oversight of and assistance to congregations and teaching elders in their ministry. These responsibilities include all matters related to matriculation of new pastors, periodic visits with sessions and pastors, support for clergy and Certified Christian Educator wellness and professional development, and minimum standards for clergy compensation.
1. Visit with each session and pastor of the presbytery periodically using a pre-determined
schedule. (See Appendix 1, 1a, 1b)
2. Train, oversee, and assign consultants to conduct periodic visits with sessions and
pastors. (See Appendix 1)
3. Develop, implement, and oversee methods of congregational development &
transformation in the churches of this presbytery.
4. Counsel teaching elders and churches when conflict or dissension has arisen.
5. Intentional planning for the use of bi-vocational ministers.
6. Plan and implement the orientation for teaching elders new to Shenandoah Presbytery.
7. Appoint a “Colleague in Ministry” for each newly ordained/first-call teaching elder.
8. Visit regularly and consult with teaching elders in the Presbytery who are not serving
congregations. (See Appendix 9, 9a)
9. Fulfill the provisions of G-2.0508 relating to validated ministry. (See Appendix 9, 10, 10a)
10. Assist teaching elders and/or their families in retirement and crisis situations to draw on all available resources, such as Board of Pensions, Medicare, Medicaid, Veterans Administration, Social Security, etc.
11. Receive requests for a teaching elder and/or certified Christian Educator’s Honorable
Retirement and plan an appropriate recognition at a presbytery meeting.
12. Recommend initiatives to enhance wellness for teaching elders and Christian educators
which include resources and support for sabbaticals, continuing education, and use of
career counseling centers. (See Appendix 13, 13a, 13b, 13c)
13. Oversee, administer, and encourage teaching elders to seek professional development
assistance from scholarship funds and the West Virginia Grant Fund. (See Appendix 14)
14. Review policies related to teaching elders and/or certified Christian educators (i.e.
parental leave, medical leave, family leave, etc.) and submit recommended changes to